←― those who dare, win ―→

Monday, February 9, 2015

Finding A Happy Medium



Nowadays, people my age are slowly engaging in outdoor activities. Can't blame them. Hours in the office are, indeed, more tiring compared to hours spent outdoors. Most people find hiking and trekking, exhilarating. Long treks, challenging terrains and breathtaking views as rewards? C'mon, you can't argue with that! As for me though, I found something else. 

This is not known to many of my friends,  but being born and raised in a  mountainous province, I grew up trekking just for the sake of it. I lost count on how many times we have trekked the mountains of  nearby towns. When we were still in high school, we would trek every friday after class. No guides or trails, just our adventurous selves and our instincts. Now that I think of it, I kind of miss washing the mud off my PE shoes. Haha.

We're truly lucky to have experienced these activities while growing up. Its just rather paradoxical that neither of us engaged in mountain climbing after high school despite the fact that we were exposed in it at an early age. Perhaps it is that which consequently inspired us to try new activities as we grew older, to explore more. 

Since I enjoy challenging terrains and I'm in-love with water-related activities even as a kid, my kind of adventure should at least include both. Hence, my love for river/waterfall trekking, cave exploring/swimming or any of the sort. For me, there's nothing more rewarding than swimming in the deep, icy cold waters after a strenuous trek or cave exploration. It's like getting the best of both worlds. The panorama may not be as breathtaking as that of a summit,  but it's just as fulfilling. Plus, if you're up for thrills, go diving off a waterfall or a cliff. The higher and the deeper the water, the better. (For the record, I'm not a swimmer nor am I familiar with the technicalities of swimming. I'm a self-taught one but I can swim enough not to drown.) Diving is just an awesome way to top it off. I cannot justify this enough but trust me it's worth the fall. :)

                 
How about you? Have you found your happy medium?


(Photo credit: Jenny Siticer)

0 comments:

Post a Comment