←― those who dare, win ―→

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Falling for Tangadan Falls


This La Union trekking-surfing trip was initially planned as another getaway with le cousins but it later turned out that only Jenny and I were available that day. We were ready to travel on our own until our folks learned about our getaway and started nagging to take them with us. We saw the trip as a mini family reunion , so we agreed. We prepared everything, making sure everything will be comfortable for our folks without compromising the thrill out of the trip. We even oriented them about our itinerary and what to expect. Much to our surprise, as soon as we got to the hostel, they started complaining about everything. I don't remember them to be so grumpy and honestly for a minute, I was pissed. The other guests were already looking at us. Oh well, this was not the best idea after all, wasn't it?

"Bad vibes, be gone." I chanted to myself. After series of explanations, our folks were already convinced and finally,  we were able to proceed with our itinerary. Whew! High five, Jenny! This is nothing but another spice added to our adventure!


Tangadan falls is located at San Gabriel, La Union, around 30 minutes to the jump off point from Urbiztondo, San Juan via jeepney. We inquired by the hostel's front desk and decided to join the other groups. The more the merrier, as they say. 

From the jump off point, it would usually take one to two hours of river trekking to reach the falls but it would still depend on your pacing, of course. We went on a rainy season and it was mostly cloudy during the trek but we're still lucky for not being rained on. There were no ascends but don't underestimate the terrain, it's not exactly a walk in the park either. The irregular and mossy rocks made the trek really challenging. 

Me, Cousin Jenny, and Aunt Emy. (c) Uncle Jojo

We had our lunch by the cliff jumping site.  The others rested for a bit then got themselves ready for the jump. As for me,  I got my camera ready for documentation.  I was hesitant to jump at first. Since I came from a night shift, I was only able to sleep for 2 hours. I worry that my body can't handle the fatigue and won't be able to resurface. However, the thought that it's a 25-foot jump, awakened the adventurous in me. The fear and doubts were all worth it, let me tell you. I would've jumped twice or thrice if only we weren't in a hurry. 

Cousin Jenny taking the leap. Way to go! Unlike her, I don't have a photo of my jump to boast. Hehe


By the time we reached the falls, I'm already shivering. It was a bit windy plus we're soaking wet. 
Tangadan Falls has to be the biggest falls I have seen. The vigorous gushing of the waters from the hill was overwhelming. The current was so strong that we didn't even dare to swim near it. On my next visit, I'll make sure to include this again in my itinerary. ☺



TIP BITS:

1. It's better to trek during the summer season as the water level of the river is lower. The current is weaker making river crossings easier. 

2. Start your trek in the morning. First, to save yourself from the scorching heat. Second, in case you got lost, you'll still be able to return before dawn.

4. If you came to LU mainly to surf, make sure to check the surf forecast first. The waves were too flat when we went there but worry not. There are a lot of activities you can do in LU aside from surfing. ☺

3. If you're looking for a cheap and unique accommodation in LU, I highly recommend The Circle Hostel. Truly living up to their motto, "There are no strangers", the staff and guests treat each other as family. Their rates ranges from 350 to 550 PhP depending on what month you'll visit.