←― those who dare, win ―→

Monday, March 2, 2015

Minalungao National Park


"Seriously? In Nueva Ecija?" That was my reaction when I came across a photo of Minalungao National Park on the internet. Not much was written about it at that time. From there, I knew I had to see it for myself. 





Dubbed as "Nueva Ecija's Well-kep Secret", this  "hidden gem" can be found at Gen. Tinio (formerly known as Papaya), Nueva Ecija, just a few hours away from the Metro. With those abstract rock formations, towering limestone walls and emerald waters, at first glance, the place is to some extent reminiscent of the lakes in Palawan. 


The color of the Peñaranda River was eye-catching but unlike in Palawan, the water isn't really pellucid. The water's actually more of opaque than translucent. Nonetheless, the unique rock formations surrounding the river really amused me. As we explored the place, I took my time admiring the rocks. Some of the rocks were irregularly shaped but smooth, making them slippery. It's like stepping on a bathroom tile, so watch your steps, guys. According to the locals, the water level used to be almost as high as the limestone walls, carving the rocks over time. 




Cliff jumping is a must! Well, it's actually more of jumping off a huge rock because there was no cliff to start with. I did much higher and terrifying jumps before but I must admit, I was a bit hesitant on this one. Probably because of the opacity of the water. I wasn't that comfortable not knowing what's under that water.  He-he. 

(On the left: Sequence shot of my second jump as we failed to capture the first. Ha-ha! 
 On the right: On weekends, most of the guides in Minalungao are children. This is their way of earning for their school expenses. They don't have fixed rates so you can give them whatever you can. They're even polite enough to say "Bahala na po kayo." )


Hard work knows no age. 



In my honest to goodness opinion, I think the place is a bit overrated. It's ideal for picnic goers and lazy weekends but not really for adventure seekers.  Still, who would have thought that something like that lies in the heart of Region III? It's still worth visiting, though. Will I go back to this place? Most likely. 

Tip Bits:  
  • It's cheaper to rent a tricycle in Gapan going to the Minalungao National Park than to get another one from Gen. Tinio (Papaya).
  • Guides are optional. The place is just small so you can explore it on your own. 



(Credit goes to my father for my solo pictures. )